Monday, October 11, 2010

Let's Kick It Off

I thought I'd start a blog to chronicle my journey of trying to conceive.  My husband and I have been married five years in September.  I'm 30 and he's 29, and at the end of 2009, we decided to pull the goalie and start our family.

I should preface this whole story with the fact that I thought we would have absolutely no problem conceiving.  I had even bragged to my roommates in college (with no prior experience that would dictate either way) that I was sure I was a fertile turtle.  I guess I was basing this off of the fact that my mom had absolutely no problem getting pregnant with both my brother and me.  I figured why would I have any problems.  Plus, they teach you in school that if you so much as pull your pants down within a 5 mile radius of a boy, you were exposing yourself to the risk of pregnancy.  How hard could it be, right?

As I'd mentioned, my story starts at the end of 2009.  I stopped taking birth control pills in December.  By doctor's orders, I waited about 3 months before we actively started trying, so that my hormone levels could regulate themselves.  The first month we tried, I bled midway through my cycle.  In hindsight, I'm thinking that this was probably a month that I didn't ovulate.  A weird glitch seeing as my cycles were quite regular the two months before. A bit discouraging seeing as we'd waited 3 months to really get the party started.  Nevermind, I thought to myself, there's next month, and next month I'll definitely get pregnant!

I've thought the same thing every month up until now...about 6 six months later.  Still no baby.

I've tried charting and checking my cervical mucus.  I haven't tried OPKs yet, as those seem like a waste of money if I can chart and check my mucus.  It seems like I am ovulating, based on the spike in temperature that I get every month, but my cycles do tend to be long...averaging about 33 to 36 days.

I have to admit there are times when we've grossly miscalculated my date of ovulation.  But there are times when we've been pretty right on.  I am hoping that there is nothing wrong with us.  It would make this journey so much easier to know either way, though I think a doctor would scoff at us if we tried to get checked out right now.

I am hoping that we will one day create and get to bring home a little miracle, but in the meantime I am waiting and learning what it means to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment