Monday, September 3, 2012

Let's Get This Show On the Road

I finally have some news to report.

After trying on our own for several more months on the Chinese herbs, and then stopping that and just trying on our own, we have decided to move on to Clomid + IUI.

I am disappointed that the Chinese herbs didn't work.  I wonder if maybe I just didn't take them for long enough (the doctor thought I had some serious issues).  Or maybe it was because DH refused to take them with me, and he's 50% of the issue.  I guess you can always look back and wonder, but I'm trying to move forward, not backward.

I had also hoped that we might get pregnant on our own since DH's count was now in the well-above normal range.  But that was not to be either.

So here we are, actually giving the fertility treatments a go.  I don't know why it's such a big deal to me.  So many folks have jumped right into treatments and it's worked just fine for them.  But for me, I guess it symbolizes some sort of failing in us to do what so many people seem to do quite naturally and without issue.

But even more than that, it's me finally resorting to "our last ditch effort."  And this scares me because if this doesn't work, then we have nothing left.  And then I will be finally faced with a life far different than what I had imagined and hoped and dreamed of ever since I was little. It's too scary to contemplate, so I won't for now.  One step at a time.

Anyway, I went to my RE at the end of August, and we figured out a plan, plus I had some blood work done.

Let's talk about the blood work.  I thought I had no issues, fit as a whistle.  I'd had a physical already in May and there were no problems except for low Vitamin D which is common.  Turns out I have issues with high cholesterol (including high bad cholesterol), slightly under active thyroid, and being pre-diabetic.  WTF?  It would have been nice if my regular doctor had mentioned these issues!  My RE assured me that these are not issues to be concerned with because they tend to be stricter on people trying to get pregnant than people who aren't (which is probably why my regular doctor didn't mention these things to me).  But I'm not gonna lie -- I'm worried.

He has put me on some thyroid meds, and I'm meeting with a nutritionist at the clinic to help with my other issues.  Because of these issues, we decided to push off starting the IUI's until October.  (We were originally scheduled to start in September.)

Part of me is relieved because I really don't want to do treatments just yet, and part of me is just itching to get going.

For now, I'm working with Dr. Google to strengthen my diet and help me with the cholesterol and diabetes issues.  But it's frustrating.  I became a vegetarian four months ago, and I think I eat a pretty healthy diet as it is.  I don't know what more I can do!

Stay tuned for more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment