Sunday, October 31, 2010

Baby Shower Shopping

One of my very good college friends is going to have a baby next year, and she is having her baby shower next week.  I can't attend, so today after church I decided to shop for her gift, which I plan to mail to her.  Apparently, Bed, Bath and Beyond now has a new baby section, so I decided to go check it out.

For those of you who've been reading, you will know that I have been hanging in there this entire month, feeling pretty matter-of-fact with our current situation.  Which is why I was surprised how emotional I felt in the store, walking amongst the baby things.  I felt like I was on the verge of tears the entire time, and my insides were an achy mush.  I kept praying that I wouldn't run into anyone I knew, or else I was sure that I would burst into tears right there between the potty training seats and the Mustela diaper cream.

Last year at this time, I would have just glided through the expedition, with a smug sense that my turn would be coming soon.  (The plan was to start trying at the beginning of 2010.)  I've said it once, and I'll say it again -- what a difference a year makes.  Now, I wonder when my turn will be.  Will it be next year, two years, three years, five years, ten years?  I don't know.  The uncertainty is unnerving.

I made it out of the store alive, but allowed myself a few tears on the way home in the car.  I guess it doesn't help that my period is on its way, either today or tomorrow.  I don't want to dwell on the negativity and the fear too much, or else it will consume me.  I am trusting in God's plan for my life, whatever it will be, and trusting that his plan is better than whatever plans I may have for myself.

On a positive note, my husband is coming home tomorrow after a two week business trip.  I've missed him so much, and can't wait to see him.  As hard as this journey has been so far, I can't imagine doing it alone and without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment