Tuesday, November 16, 2010

S/A and Consultation with Chinese Doctor

I feel like I should qualify the outburst in my last post.  I was feeling particularly down that day (obviously).  I couldn't figure out why that might be.  Then it occurred to me that the doctor's visit and testing has been stressing me out more than I realized.  I guess I had to get it out.

So these past few days have been event-filled.  On Sunday, my mom took me to an acupuncturist/herbalist for a consultation.  This doctor is a friend of hers, and did this as a favor.  She looked at my recent BBT charts, and said that barring any major issues (low/no sperm count or blocked tubes), it looks like the issue is a hormonal one on my part.  Because my cycles tend to be long, with a long build-up to ovulation (typically 3 weeks instead of 2 from CD 1 until day of ovulation), it's my estrogen levels that are the problem.

She recommended that I try taking a Chinese medicine that typically treats women with menstrual or fertility issues.  It's a good general medication until I can find someone who can prescribe specific herbs for my situation.  It's called Baifeng Wan.  My grandmother said back in her day, many women in China/Taiwan would take Baifeng Wan if they were having problems getting pregnant, and they were able to get pregnant this way.  My mom has taken it before for menstrual pain (she never had fertility problems).  The acupuncturist takes it now for general women's health.  I'm thinking of making a trip to my local Chinatown to pick some up.  It's supposedly about $60 for a month's supply, which if you ask me, beats the cost of IVF/IUI/acupuncture.

Interestingly enough, my mom and the acupuncturist said that the best thing to do was to take Chinese herbal medications to treat the issue.  Acupuncture is good to do with the herbal therapy, but it's slow working.  Basically, it's the meds that are gonna get you knocked up fast.

I am so, so hopeful that this might be what I need.  I am of Chinese heritage, so I do believe that there is something to TCM.  My husband is Caucasian, and he's a major skeptic.  It's been a major clashing point for us in this whole TTC journey.  We've basically adopted a don't ask don't tell policy regarding my investigation and pursuit of TCM treatment.

Yesterday, my husband went in for his S/A (semen analysis).  I'm hoping we'll hear the results tomorrow.  He produced his sample at the clinic.  I asked him not to use the magazines unless he was in dire straits. :)  He confirmed that he didn't...haha.  I think he's very nervous about the results.  I hope that for his sake and mine, the results will be normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment