Wednesday, November 17, 2010

S/A - Not So Good

We got the results back from my husband's S/A.  It's not good.

Count - 6 million (normal is >20 million)
Motility - 6% (normal is >50%)
Morphology - 3% (normal is >14%)

I guess I was right.  I'm sad I am though.

I'm doing much better than anticipated because I've mentally prepared myself for the worst.  He's not doing very well right now because he hasn't.

Our blood work came back normal, as in no STDs.  However, we're still waiting on results from genetic testing.  I also still need to do my Day 3 blood work to test FSH levels, plus the HSG.  That will be early December.  Before then, my husband is going back in on Friday to do another S/A in case these results were a random fluke.  I'm not holding my breath.

I don't want to jump the gun without knowing where I stand, but I'm wondering if we're not a good candidate for IUI based on my husband's S/A.  We may need to skip the line to IVF.

Ugh.

On a positive note -- and I'm trying to be as positive as possible given the dismal forecast -- there ARE viable sperm.

Please pray for us right now. I think it's safe to say that we are officially infertile.  Woo.  Pray for strength and trust in the Lord's sovereign plan for our lives.  Also, please pray for a miracle, that maybe this sperm sample was a random bad lot.

3 comments:

  1. We've found that my husband's sperm isn't as fanstasic as we once thought it was. Its hard news to digest, but there is always hope when you believe in a God who has the desires of your heart in mind. He has a plan for you and your family, the hard part is waiting to see how His plan will unfold. Praying for peace and better results on round two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While that was not the answer you were waiting for, I am sure it's a relief to have an explanation of some sort. I think mentally preparing for the worst case scenario is helpful, so I can understand why your husband might not be digesting quite as well.

    The good news is you are equipped with information that you can now use to get you to your goal.

    Praying for you both Christina. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had similar upsetting results. My husband's morphology is only 1% and his motility is below average. My dr. explained that was why IUI did not work for us, and said the only way to conceive would be though IVF w/ ICSI, which is what we're in the process of doing right now. Allow yourself some time to soak in the news of your husband's S/A results, and know that God knew all of this before you did. He has a plan for you. :)

    ReplyDelete