Monday, July 25, 2011

And the Results Are In

And they're good!  Or at least very promising. :)

So here are the results of the first S/A since DH's varicocelectomy on March 16, and since he started taking Clomid in February:

Count per ml: 19 million (>= 20 million is normal)
Volume: 4 ml (>= 2 ml is normal)
Motility: 45% (>= 50% is normal)
Total Moving Sperm: 34.2 million!!! (>= 40 million is normal)

The urologist did not give a figure for the morphology, but I've heard that this does not matter so much for conception.

This is compared to our first series of S/A's at our RE in November:

S/A #1

Count per ml: 6 million
Volume: 5 ml
Motility: 6%
Total Moving Sperm: 1.8 million

S/A #2
Count per ml: 6 million
Volume: 3.9 ml
Motility: 20%
Total Moving Sperm: 4.68 million

The doctor said that the count could either get better, stay the same or get worse (which, I guess, is just all the options you could have).  So in three months, we're going to go back for another follow-up S/A to see how things have progressed.

In the meantime, we are very hopeful.  The urologist said that even though DH is just a little below normal levels, he thinks there is a good chance, given a year's time, that we can get pregnant on our own.  So for now, we are opting to try naturally, and we will see what will come of it.  I'm sure that after the next S/A we will re-evaluate, but for now, that's what we're going to do.

I didn't go with DH to his appointment today, and I'm glad I didn't.  I was at work, and it was good to have the distraction until I got the phone call from my husband.  Thankfully, after the call, I only had about an hour left of the work day, and I spent it doing some mindless tasks.  I was so ready to go home.  It was a very stressful Monday, but with a happy ending.

I continue to be hopeful, but part of me is bracing myself for the worse.  Who knows where this could end up?  We're not there yet, but we're headed in the right direction.  I am trusting the Lord, and asking for His guidance and strength as we continue through this crazy TTC journey.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome news!!! So happy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is excellent news!!!! I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but my husband went from 4 million sperm to 90 million in 3 months being on hcg injections...just wanted to throw that out there for ya :) Glad you got some greta news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful news Christina! My heart is overwhelmed with joy! I am nothing bust optimistic for you and your husband that your dreams of parenthood are right around the corner. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete