Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Getting Ready for Scan #2

Tomorrow I go back in for a second scan.  Hopefully everything is measuring on track.

Honestly, I am not as nervous as I was last time.  Probably because there was a heartbeat already.  But even more than that, nausea has been kicking my butt this past week.  It's a good sign that something is going on in there, I hope!

I was prescribed Zofran to take if I needed it.  It's a medication that is prescribed to cancer patients who are fighting nausea from chemo.  My RE assures me that it is totally safe; in fact, he encourages me to take it to "take the edge off."  I have taken about 4 pills since last week, only when I can't take the nausea anymore, and I am beating myself up/freaking out over it.

I have been Googling message boards (bad idea) and reading about women who think their babies' defects are a result of Zofran.  These ladies are saying that their babies were born without arms or other limbs, or that they were born with heart defects.  To be fair, as many women that say that, there are an equal number who said they popped them throughout their pregnancy and had perfectly healthy babies.

But then I start thinking about back to the 50s and 60s and how pregnant women drank and smoked all the time while they were pregnant.  In fact, a friend of mine, his mom was told by her doctor to smoke a cigarette a day to keep his weight down in the womb (she was prone to delivering very large babies).  Although doctors mean well, we know they're not infallible.

I am really trying to stay calm, and tell myself not to worry.  But it's hard not to.  And it's been hard not to take the medication, especially when I need it to get into work, or I can't keep food/fluids down otherwise.

In a way, this has been a good distraction from worrying about whether the baby is still alive or not in there...which is still a real worry of mine as well.  Guess we'll see what tomorrow yields.  I will keep you all posted.

2 comments:

  1. Just a question, have you already tried all the other anti-nausea options, like loads of stuff that contains ginger? Now, I'm not a huge fan of ginger to start with and have never had pregnancy induced nausea but I think that the taste grows on you and if you haven't tried it, maybe it's an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele. I've tried some of the other natural stuff like saltines, ginger ale, never being too full/too hungry, seabands, ginger gum, sucking on hard candies. None of them have really worked when my full-on nausea hits, but I am going to try my best to stay all-natural if I can.

    ReplyDelete